Pages

.

cakes: twix cake ...or not!


Gunnar Sverrisson for Home and Delicious

I've had an idea of this cake for a while in my head, and in my dreams too, as I thought right away how delicious it would be. It all started with Pinterest, when I saw the image of a Twix cake there and wanted immediately to bake one. Last Sunday I did. I found the original recipe but ended up only using the cake recipe but my own for the caramel as I'm not that kind of a baker using thermometer. Then I didn't have milk chocolate so I melted a Mars bar instead. The cake was a hit, finished too soon and I will for sure do it again.

-See the recipe by clicking on the read more button-



Twix cake...that doesn't look like a Twix bar

cake:
60 g butter
60 g sugar / 1/4 cup
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
90 g flour / 3/4 cup
1 tbs baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
60 ml milk / 1/4 cup

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Stir butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add the egg and the vanilla and stir. Put the dry ingredients in and stir until combined.  This is a fairly small recipe, for a tin 20x10 cm, so I  recommend doubling it if you don't want it to finish at once! Oil the tin or use baking paper (which I did, as I let the cake cool in the tin and spread the caramel over the cake while still in the tin). Bake for about 20 minutes, take care to not back it for too long, then it will be dry.

caramel:
120 g sugar
3 tbs syrup
1/4 l cream
1/2 tsp sea salt
30 g butter
1/2 tsp vanilludropar

If you double the recipe of the cake you'll need to double the caramel too. Stir together sugar, syrup, salt and cream, bring to boil, lower the heat and stir once in a while until the caramel has thickened considerably. Take off the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Let it cool before you spread it on the cake, still in the tin. Put in the fridge and let it cool completely and get stiffer, while you work on the chocolate. 

chocolate:
chocolate of your choice
dark chocolate, milk chocolate, chocolate Mars-bar

Melt the chocolate and let it cool quite well. If not it will start to melt the caramel and the cake looses it's form. Spread the cake and the caramel all over with the soft chocolate. Cool completely and serve. 

Read the original recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment